Kate's Ramblings

A day-to-day insight to the world of the struggling artist... live vicariously!

Friday, April 01, 2005

Shannon put it best...

There couldn't have been more drama yesterday if Kevin Deller had been in the room.

Wow, well I won't get into the gritty details, but the High School Musical was almost cancelled. Rosina wasn't there to take responsibility (later she didn't take responsibility anyway, blamed it entirely on the students) and I, once again, got to clean up her mess by playing cheerleader and moral booster for the cast, crew, pit, staff, and parents. I had never been so glad to get the hell out of that school yesterday afternoon.

The show seems to be on. That's good I suppose. Everyone has worked entirely too hard, and I think the possibility of losing the musical made the kids realize how much they wanted it - they had a decent show last night.

On top of that, Shannon is failing Choir (!) because she chose to go to her academic classes instead of to sectionals. Is this really an acceptable reason to fail? She knows all of her music, she comes to class. Why should she be forced to chose choir over AP English? Is this Megan Blair's way of saying that choir is more important than AP English. Who cares if you can read and write as long as you can sing. What's best for Shannon here? She fears now losing her scholarship because her extremely low choir grade may pull her below the required GPA. Can I point out that she's going to school to study music and theatre. Music. The class she is failing. She obviously knows the subject pretty well, how can you justify failing a student who obviously loves the subject and works hard - whether in sectionals or not. The other issue about this is that Megan never once let my mother know that Shannon was struggling in class. Not once. This would be the time to point out that Mom and Megan have been both working on the musical for the past three months. They've seen each other at least once a week during this time.

I have to say I think "MIss Blair" is being unreasonable and controlling. Regardless of whether she likes Shannon or not she, as a teacher must be fair. I also feel in working with her that Megan is entirely too immature to be working with high school students. She doesn't know how to be a good teacher through practice. I'd also like to point out that for a music teacher she's not a very good musician either - can't count to save her life.

I guess if the wrong person sees this I'll probably get into some trouble. I don't care. Freedom of speech and all that. This spring has really made me not proud of my own alma mater and I get sick thinking of all the negative changes that have been made in the past ten years under the guise of building the students' character. There is no pride left in that school. None that I've seen since I've been there. Fortunately, the last gibson child graduates this year and then we are finished with it.

The last bit of terrible day yesterday was Brian telling me he may not make it down this weekend. Bloody fantastic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home